It was hard to just choose five but here is my list of my top five favorite first sentences in books.
- “The moment the door opened I knew an ass-kicking was inevitable.” Stray by Rachel Vincent.
- “The night Kate Harker decided to burn down the school chapel, she wasn’t angry or drunk. She was desperate.”This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab.
- “There are 158 footsteps between the bus stop and home, but it can stretch to 180 if you aren’t in a hurry, like maybe if you’re wearing platform shoes.” Me Before You by Jojo Moyes.
- “The forest had become a labyrinth of snow and ice.” A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas.
- “So in order to understand everything that happened, you have to start from the premise that high school sucks.” Me and Earl and the Dying Gil by Jesse Andrews.
So these are my top five favorite first sentences. What are some of your favorite first sentences?